Synonyms

Are you teaching synonyms this week? I am, and I'm pretty excited about it because my students always love synonyms!

I always start out by having a student volunteer toss me a ball, I hand it back and ask them to throw it to me (cue laughter - they are so easily entertained) and then I ask, "did he or she do anything different the second time?". They all shout in unison, "NO!", and I say, "those two words: toss and throw mean the same thing so we call them SYNONYMS. Say it with me now! SY-NO-NYMS". I repeat this exact same thing about ten times with synonyms like jump and hop, smile and grin, push and shove, etc... We go over lots of synonyms, they get to move around, they laugh, and most of the time they get it!

Of course, I always end up having one student who raises his hand a few days later and says, "You just said 'whatever' and 'whatever' and I know those are cinnamons!!!". Oh, so close! This always makes me smile and I figure as long as they've got the basic concept down I am a happy teacher.



I put together this mini lesson to help you teach your little ones about synonyms. You can pick it up at my TPT store, print, and enjoy! Happy teaching :)


No comments

Back to Top