Third Quarter is Over (What?!)

I can't believe how fast this year is flying by! (I say that every year, but this year truly feels like it has gone by faster than any of the others). Third quarter is officially over, spring break has come and gone, and our second to last round of report cards are done!

I'm not sure how things are done in other states, but in Virginia we teach new standards for the first three quarters and then, at the end of the third quarter, the kids take a cumulative assessment and we use the results to plan reteaching/test prep for the fourth quarter.

We just took our third quarter test on Friday so I figured I would share with you one of the things that I did to make test prep/review fun and meaningful!


Quizizz
 For the past year or so I have been pretty much exclusively using Kahoot! for review games, but I recently discovered Quizizz and am loving it so far! Here's a little tour of how it is different and why I think it is perfect for review/test prep:




There are also funny memes that pop up and tell them whether they got the question right or not My kids all said that the memes were their favorite thing about the game.

This is the best thing about Quizizz in my opinion! The day after they played my third quarter review game, I gave them printed copies of the questions and their own answers, marked correct or incorrect, and had them use their notes to fix any of the ones that they got wrong.

If you want to use the Quizizz that I created to review many (not all) of the standards that we have covered this year you can find it here.

Nonfiction: Autobiographies & Biographies
Since we are approaching the end of the year and many of my students (and I) have not read the two required Biographies/Autobiographies to complete our reading challenge, I decided to invest in some books that I thought they would be interested in.

One of my boys, who hardly ever reads books from start to finish, is obsessed with LeBron James. He talks about him all the time and has even started putting LeBron's name on his papers.

 

So, I bought the book I Am LeBron James and told him that I got it specifically for him and he read the entire thing in class that day. #happyteacher

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/i-am-12-lebron-james_grace-norwich/8986068/#isbn=054567350X
Here are a couple of other books that my students were pretty excited about:
https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/messi-a-biography_leonardo-faccio/920682/#isbn=0345802691
https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/ronaldo-the-obsession-for-perfection_luca-caioli/710351/#isbn=1906850291

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/breakaway-beyond-the-goal_alex---morgan/9540585/#isbn=1481451073 

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/boy-tales-of-childhood-by-roald-dahl/271280/#isbn=014241381X

No comments

Back to Top