Multi-Digit Subtraction

This week we worked on multi-digit subtraction in Math. We started with a review of 2 digit subtraction without borrowing/ungrouping. Then moved on to 2, 3, and 4 digit problems with borrowing/ungrouping.

We started each day with a warm up after which students shared their strategies for solving. (During each minilesson, I gave students practice boards to work on where they could draw a place value drawing and then write the numerical equation to represent the model they had drawn).


 Next I would quickly teach them a new strategy and then give them a few practice problems and allow them to use whichever strategy they were most comfortable with to solve. 


After our lesson I gave the kids math menus and had them complete several independent activities while I pulled groups for guided math. Independent activities included Task Cards, practice problems on the iPads, and a variety of activities from Superteacherworksheets.com.

For the first few days of guided math I just used place value blocks and drawings to help kids see concrete examples of what they were doing when they borrowed or ungrouped a number. 


On Thursday I had my students complete a set of 15 task cards with problems involving 2, 3, and 4 digit numbers as well as a few subtraction word problems. 


I used the task cards to determine who needed reteaching, review, or to be challenged. On Friday, I split them into three groups accordingly and gave them differentiated activities to complete. Click the link to grab these three activities for free!

Level 1 kids worked with me for reteaching. We broke down and solved several problems using this Place Value Break Down Board. I modeled filling in one row at a time to solve problems and then had them complete several practice problems while I watched so I could correct errors as we worked.


Level 2 kids worked on an activity where they were doing two and three digit subtraction problems to see how much change they would get when buying different items at a toy store.


Level 3 kids completed an activity in which they had to look at a list of inventions and the years in which they were invented and figure out how old each one was. This was a great way for them to practice 4 digit subtraction with regrouping and they had a lot of fun with it!


All of the resources that I used came from my Multi-Digit Subtraction Unit and Superteacherworksheets.com.



No comments

Back to Top